New York City has 520 miles of coastline. Its waterways are often referred to as “The Sixth Borough”. We are artists and curators dedicated to working with water to bring new awareness to the public of the issues and conditions that impact their environment through art.
Works on Water is an organization and triennial exhibition dedicated to artworks, theatrical performances, conversations, workshops and site-specific experiences that explore diverse artistic investigation of water in the urban environment. We seek to strengthen and nourish the community of artists working on and with bodies of water and to provide a platform to increase awareness of artists and organizations working on and with the waterways.
WORKS on WATER 2017 ACHIEVEMENTS
- Commissioned 10 new artworks
- 11 site-specific works featuring 26 artists
- 10 conversations about water between artists, engineers, planners, activists, scientists, students, and the public
- 1350 gallery visitors
- 3100+ audience members at free outdoor public programming
- 250 conversation participants